Tips to Get You Started YOGA
YOGA is the one exercise that is beneficial for every body type. Yoga postures are called “asanas” and there are many different asanas that you can do individually or as a couple. Most yoga studios are now offering “date nights” where couples can practice together. You may also choose to just try practicing at home.
Here are a few basic Tips to get you started:
- Find a flat, open space, where you are free to move around without bumping into anything.
- Set aside at least 30 minutes, and preferably an hour, to devote to this practice and nothing else. Turn off the phones.
- Don’t practice on a full stomach. Allow time to digest before exercising. If you are pregnant, or have back problems, consult your doctor before starting any new exercise program.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing, and bare feet.
- Don’t overdo it. Rest when you feel tired. Your stamina will increase over time with regular practice.
- Breathe. Breathe through your nose. Your breaths should be long and deep. Breathe with your diaphragm. Relax your chest and allow your breath to feel as if it is coming from your belly.
- Start out slowly, allow your body to warm up.
- Have fun. Laugh. Enjoy being together. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Cool down gently, allow your body time to rest and restore itself after you are done.