AYURVEDA: Simple Remedies for Constipation
AYURVEDA says we need to pass stools Every Day.
Constipation can occur due to changes in the consistency of stools or due to a defect in the rhythmic squeezing action of large intestine (called peristalsis) or due to some mechanical obstruction in the intestine.
Generally speaking when we talk about Constipation we are referring to the first two causes as they are due to derangement in the normal functioning of the body.
Causes of Constipation as per Ayurveda:
- Suppression of urge to pass stools.
- Untimely food intake – taking food when not hungry or keeping long gaps between two meals, late night dinners.
- Faulty life style.
- Sedentary habits.
- Lack of exercise.
- Emotions like, grief, fear, anxiety.
- Intake of astringent foods.
- Fasting (including less intake of fluids).
- Overindulgence in work
Simple Remedies for Constipation:
a) On getting up in the morning, drink 2-4 glasses of water kept in a copper vessel overnight, this helps many people in having a proper evacuation of bowels.
b) Apply any oil on the abdomen in clockwise strokes followed by a steam bath. Maintain adequate hydration.
c) Drink a glass of room temperature water with 1 tablespoon honey and the juice of a lemon, or 1 glass of warm water with the juice of a lemon and a pinch of rock salt.
d) Soak 2-4 figs in 1 glass of water at night and chew them thoroughly the next morning. Swallow along with water used for soaking.
e) Take Triphala powder, or capsules, (Tri means three, phala, means fruits- it’s the combination of dried fruit rind of Indian Gooseberry, Chebulic Myrobalan and Belliric Myrobalan) at night with warm water.
f) If there is lot of Pitta, or “heat” symptoms along with constipation, then take 1 tablespoon of rose petal jam along with 1 teaspoon of fennel after lunch with water.
Dietary and Lifestyle Changes:
– Take 2-3 liters of fluids every day.
– Drinking 2-3 glasses of water as advised in the morning should be practised daily.
– Be physically active.
– Ayurveda advocates use of high fiber grains. So avoid refined flours. Instead shift to high fiber whole wheat, barley, rye, oats, quinoa, or brown rice as a base for breads & pastas.
– Add green leafy vegetables in any form in your meals.
– Eat breakfast before 9 am, lunch before 2 pm & dinner before 8 pm.
– Drinking 1-2 glasses of warm water in the evening helps with dry stools.
– Eat easy to digest food and avoid foods that take longer to digest like fried foods and cheese.
P.S. share these simple Remedies with your Friends