Shaking-up The Lethargic Kapha
To calm an aggravated or over working Kapha it is best to eat foods high in bitter, pungent and astringent tastes. There are some guidelines laid down by Ayurveda that work towards balancing and vitalizing Kapha.
- Butter milk is good spiced with peppers and cumin seeds powder during day time.
- Very little fats are required by kapha and use of Oils (mustard and olive) is preferred over ghee or butter.
- Meals should be kept light.
- As an appetiser use bitter or pungent foods like ginger instead of sour and salty.
- Baked, roasted, grilled and sautéed foods are preferred.
- Roasted or grilled lean white meat can be taken in moderation.
- Mustard greens, fenugreek leaves, aubergine and beans are very good for Kapha constitution.
- Only take hot beverages like soups, tea, herbal teas (Tulsi, cinnamon, ginger). Warm or hot water or water laced with herbs can be sipped throughout the day.
- Cream, too much butter and ghee, rich and frozen desserts are best avoided.
- Warm, light and dry food cooked without much water is preferred.Cooked and grilled vegetables are preferred over raw vegetables and salad. Sprouts should also be lightly sautéed.
- Heavy, oily, sweets, confectionary are best avoided.
- Avoid over boiled or steamed foods since they have a high water content.
- Red meats and sea foods are to be avoided.
- Steer clear of starchy vegetables and root vegetables like potatoes and okra.
- Try not to eat nuts like peanuts and almonts but walnuts can be taken in moderation.
- Sweets, confectionary and bakery products are to be restricted to bare minimum.
Kaphas are by nature prone to being more grounded and heavy and it can be challenging to get it moving. Face up to the challenge and shake-awake your lethargic Kapha by making these small changes in your lifestyle. Because, only you have the power over your happiness. No. One. Else.