Head Massage: How to Perform
Ayurveda recommends a Head Massage at least twice in a week. A head massage helps to treat diseases pertaining to head region, nourishes the sense organs, brings lustre to the face, and helps to make the hair thick, long and strong.
The Head is one of the secondary places of Vata Dosha. A head massage with oil calms Vata and helps relieve headaches & insomnia.
How to perform a Self Head Massage:
– Begin by choosing an oil. Sesame, mustard, almond, coconut, and olive oils are most commonly used. Coconut oil & sesame oil are best for massaging the scalp.
– Pour some oil at the crown area and give gentle dabbing strokes with your palm. Let the oil spread on the scalp assisted by your palms and then, starting from the sides and working towards the top give the scalp a moderately vigorous massage in small circular pattern using your palms.
– Work your way toward the front and back of the head. Once the whole scalp has been covered, gently massage the whole head in the same circular fashion, with your thumbs and fingers using the flat surfaces.
– Grasp fistfuls of hair at the roots and tug from side to side, keeping your knuckles very close to the scalp. Squeeze at the temples with the heels of the hands and make slow, wide, circular movements. Bow down your head slightly and massage the back of the neck by squeezing and rolling the muscles. Begin at the top of the neck and work your way down, first with one hand and then with the other hand.
– Place the thumb of your left hand under the left side base of the head and the thumb of your right hand under the right side of the base of the head and relax the tight muscles by using friction or a rubbing movement.
– Place your right hand on your left shoulder near your neck. Using medium pressure, gently squeeze the shoulder muscle that starts at the base of your neck. Work your way outwards along your shoulder to your arm and then down as far as your elbow. When you reach your elbow, go back to the base of your neck and do this twice more. Concentrate on squeezing and releasing the muscles. Repeat on the right side using your left hand.
– Finally, rub lightly using the flat surface of your fingers and thumbs all over the head; extend this movement to cover your face. If possible, relax for a few minutes afterwards.
– Take a head bath using a herbal shampoo or a herbal head bath powder. Wrap wet hair and let dry. Comb hair repeatedly with a wide toothed comb when fully dry.