We all do it. The Body releases accumulated gases many times a day as a normal physiological process. But sometimes after a meal the abdomen bloats up like a balloon and one passes foul smelling gas throughout the day. This is not only embarrassing but also marks an impaired digestive system and purification of undigested food in the large intestine.
This also means that the digestive juices carrying enzymes either are not flowing properly or the Ph of the intestine is not congenial for their proper action. As a result, partially digested food reaches the large intestine and is subjected to action of gas forming bacterias.
The causes of flatulence are generally related to wrong food choices and faulty eating habits which leads to indigestion and then flatulence.
- Eating cold food
- Eating lots of raw food like salads and sprouts
- Eating again on a full stomach
- Eating bad food combinations.
- Eating in a hurry or while talking.
- Inadequate chewing of food – Ideally each morsel of food should be chewed for 20-30 times.
- Drinking too much water or fluids and especially along with food – Ideally apart from few sips of water no fluid including beverages should be taken within one hour of eating.
- Eating at the improper time, like late dinners.
- Getting to work desk immediately after eating (or how about eating at your desk) – ideally we should walk around for 10 minutes after meals to let the accumulated gases pass.
- Eating too much of gas forming foods like baked beans, peas, or potatoes.
- Eating too much – more than 75% of your stomach’s capacity..
- Eating while having a bout of anger or under grief or fear.
- Remaining awake at night.
- Drinking contaminated water.
- Remaining in a swimming pool for long after a meal.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Flatulence:
The main principle of treatment is to give herbs that improve digestion and facilitates the downward movement of ‘Vata’ Dosha.
– Dissolve 2 pinches of asafoetida in a table spoon of water and apply as a thin paste around the naval. Very effective in flatulence of children and adults alike.
– Take ½ tsp of Cardamom seeds and black rock salt each with warm water to get relief from flatulence and pain in abdomen.
– To get relief of that heaviness after meals, chew upon 3-4 cardamom seeds and drink ½ a glass of water with ½ a lemon squeezed in it.
– Drinking 1 teaspoon of the juice of mint leaves with 1 Tablespoon of honey in the morning on an empty stomach, curbs the tendency for gas formation.