AYURVEDA: Feel Energized by Food
In AYURVEDA, the foods we eat have a big influence on the amount of Energy we have. We can be mindful in what we purchase, and what we choose to eat, to get the most energy from our foods. Here are some Tips:
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables give us lots of energy right away. It is important for us to both cut and cook the vegetables ourselves for optimum energy. It may be convenient to buy pre-cut up veggies in the market, but those have already lost some of their prana, the vital energy energy that is in this produce and also in the air that we breathe.
- Avoid frozen, canned, processed or leftover foods. Foods that have been altered with artificial flavorings or preservatives are more difficult to digest. These foods can make us feel more fatigued.
- Choose locally grown and organic foods. Organic means that no chemical fertilizers or pesticides have been used, so the body doesn’t have to work overtime to try to purify itself after eating.
- Variety is the spice of life! Choose foods with each of the six tastes at each meal: sweet, sour, salty, bitter, pungent and astringent.
- Watch food combinations. Avoid foods that don’t digest well in combination. For example, milk should only be eaten with sweet tastes, such as rice, wheat, or sugar. Milk should never be eaten with yogurt, eggs, or fish.
- Avoid caffeine, in soda, coffee or tea. Caffeine taxes the liver, creating fatigue and a build up of toxins. Instead choose water, or herb teas.
- Choose restaurants carefully. When you cook at home, you know that you are using the freshest ingredients, and cooking with mindfulness and love. In restaurants, be aware of what ingredients are used as well as the cooking methods.
P.S. to your Eternal Health & Happiness