Vertigo is a sensation of spinning or swaying. If you have these dizzy spells, you might feel like you are spinning or that the world around you is spinning. Though the sensation is strange, there are simple vertigo home remedies you can do to alleviate vertigo symptoms. Try these, and if your vertigo is severe, please see your doctor.
These symptoms are often associated with vertigo.
- Nausea (sensation for vomiting)
- Difficulty walking
Vertigo is often triggered by a change in position of the head.
Vertigo often occurs due to an inner ear problem. Less often vertigo may be caused by migraine, insomnia, head or neck injury, certain medications, brain tumors or stroke.
In Ayurveda, Vertigo is referred to as “Brahma”, wherein vitiated Pitta combines with vitiated Vata, to cause a spinning like sensation.
Vertigo Lifestyle Tips
- Sleep for at least 8 hours at night. Avoid pillows to increase blood circulation to brain.
- Control high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Exercise regularly.
- Practice yoga and meditation regularly.
- Take breaks from computers.
Vertigo Diet Tips
- Drink celery juice daily.
- Include salads in your diet.
- Whenever you feel dizzy, eat something. Dizziness may occur due to low blood sugar.
- Drink lots of water.
- Limit salt intake and try to avoid caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
Vertigo Home Remedies
- Steep 1 teaspoon each of dried amla (Indian goose berry) powder and coriander seeds in water overnight. The next morning, strain, add sugar and drink. Repeat over the next few days.
- Mix ½ teaspoon each of finely powdered cardamom and cinnamon in warm sesame oil (2 spoonfuls) and apply on the crown of the head.
- Drink lemon juice with sugar to ease the vertigo.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of ginger juice and honey. Have this once or twice a day, after food for one month. This also improves digestion and metabolism.
- Ripe strawberries mixed in yogurt may ease symptoms of vertigo.
- Warm coconut oil drops into the ears.
In many cases, vertigo goes away without any treatment. Treatment of vertigo depends on the underlying cause. If your symptoms are severe consult your medical practitioner.