Fine lines are preventable. Ayurveda, the ancient medical science of India, can help.
Fine lines are caused by the natural breakdown of collagen and elastin in the skin. Years of exposure to harmful UV rays from the sun can also add to the problem.
Fine lines tend to appear around the eyes and mouth in your thirties.
Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to iron them out before they develop into deeper lines and wrinkles.
Fine lines are also called “expression lines”. These are lines that may be caused by the movement of facial muscles when smiling or frowning.
Fine Lines Or Wrinkles: What’s The Difference?
A wrinkle is deeper than a fine line.
It can be caused by the natural process of aging, exposure to environmental factors or repetitive facial movements such as smiling, frowning or squinting.
The Natural Aging Process
Growth, development and maintenance of the anatomy and physiology of the body is completely dependent on four factors.
Those are the seasons, your inherent nature, a diet full of nutrients and the absence of any obstructive factors to the body’s growth.
All of these affect proper growth and development and the appearance of fine lines.
Among these, diet is very important.
It nourishes all the body’s systems. It’s also responsible for the maintenance of the body’s compactness and strength.
Excellent body systems reflect in what’s called sara, which makes a person look young and beautiful – free of fine lines!
READ MORE: How To Do An Ayurvedic Facial
Aging + Poor Lifestyle
When the diet is defective and when the rules are not followed regarding diet and lifestyle, there is vitiation of the tridosha.
This leads to various progressive pathological changes due to improper utilization of the diet.
A defective diet is one that is deficient and unplanned properly.
Diet and lifestyle rules include avoiding daytime sleeping, daily coitus without Vaajikarana (aphrodisiacs), daily alcohol drinking, excessive physical work, lack of exercise, mental and emotional fluctuations and more.
The pathological changes that occur as a result of an unhealthy lifestyle include a loss of compactness of the muscles, looseness of the joints, vitiation of Rakta (blood) and excessive production of Meda (fatty tissue).
A failure of Majja (marrow) to accumulate in the bones and a failure of production of Shukra (reproductive fluid), as well as loss of Oja (vital factor) also result.
This pathology leads to various symptoms of natural aging and the appearance of fine lines.
With aging, a loss of enthusiasm, drowsiness and lethargy can occur due to an increase in sleep. The respiratory rate may increase. Initiating and performing physical and mental work may too become difficult.
Memory, intellect, and complexion deteriorate. Susceptibility to disease increases.
These changes are known as Kalaja Vriddhavastha (natural aging). They can be slowed down and avoided and may be prevented.
Ayurveda For Fine Lines
Fine lines can be ironed out using the age-old practice of Ayurveda and let me assure you, this is not a myth.
Ayurveda contains lots of wonderful treatments for glowing, anti-aging skin.
In fact, Ayurveda is known to document over 200 herbs, minerals, and fats that maintain and enhance the health and beauty of the skin.
These treatments have multiple benefits such as antioxidant cellular protection. They are also known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-stress properties.
According to Ayurveda, there are three Doshas present in us: Vata (air element), Pitta (fire element) and Kapha (ether element).
An effective Ayurvedic anti-aging solution supports all three of these areas.
Skin Care For The Doshas
An imbalance in the three Doshas can create skin problems.
- A deviation of Kapha from its baseline state affects the moisture balance of the skin.
- Effective metabolic functioning balances the various chemical and hormonal reactions of the skin. Pitta affects these aspects.
- A deviation of Vata from its baseline state leads to inefficient circulation of the blood and nutrients to the different layers of the skin.
Here’s what you can do.
- Vata Skin Type: This skin should be nourished and rehydrated to avoid wrinkles and premature aging. Warm oil self-massage and natural moisturizers help.
- Pitta Skin Type: Good sunscreens and facial skin oils should be used daily.
- Kapha Skin Type: Daily warm oil massage and cleansing of the skin with gentle exfoliation is advised.
Ayurvedic Diet For Fine Lines
According to Ayurveda, a healthy Vata dosha is extremely beneficial in getting rid of fine lines and discovering healthy skin.
- Include green leafy vegetables in your diet.
- Make sure that you get enough vitamins in your diet because they directly affect the health of the skin.
- Eat protein and mineral rich foods so as to prevent the skin from losing its elasticity and developing ugly wrinkles prematurely.
- Water is essential for survival. Needless to say, drink plenty of water so undigested food can be flushed out of the body.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Fine Lines
- A paste of turmeric with sugarcane juice is a very effective treatment.
- Place castor oil on spots which have developed fine lines. This works best when applied at night and left overnight.
- You can also massage your face with almond or coconut oil every night to improve the appearance of fine lines.
- Another Ayurvedic home remedy for fine lines is Indian gooseberry or amalaki. Rub them on wrinkles. They’re a rich source of vitamin C. Use lemons if you don’t have amalaki.
- Boil rosemary leaves in 2 cups of water and reduce to half. Add half a cup of brandy to the concoction and strain. Apply onto wrinkled skin twice a day.
- Cucumbers are extremely beneficial when it comes to wrinkles and fine lines. Grate some cucumber and strain it to gather the juice. Apply the juice onto the wrinkle-affected area daily for half an hour.
- Tulsi or holy basil is known for its anti-aging and stress relieving properties. Drink a simple decoction of the leaves, a tea, every day. You may also chew a few leaves if they’re available to you.
- A mixture of ginger and honey will keep you looking and feeling young.
We all know that Ayurveda can do wonders to get rid of fine lines, but it cannot do it all overnight.
Regular efforts with trust and patience are needed.
Do not forget to include yoga and meditation in your daily routine. Stress relief and movement are key to aging well.