Moong Dal Jaggery Halwa is an easy, delicious and healthy dessert for the holiday season.
Moong Dal is filled with protein and is low carb. It’s one of the best vegetarian superfoods and yellow moong beans in particular, are extremely light for digestion. Moong Dal is one of the low carb dals when compared to others in the group.
Moong Dal Jaggery Halwa
Adding jaggery to this recipe helps in making it more healthy compared to the use of refined sugars.
1/2 cup moong dal, skinned
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup organic unrefined palm jaggery
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp ghee
raisins, walnuts to garnish
- Dry roast the dal on a low flame until aromatic. Rinse very well and cook with 1 1/2 cups water until smooth. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles on a medium flame.
- Mash the dal very well and add the jaggery along with the cardamom powder.
- Cook on a low heat stirring often for a few minutes until the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and saute the walnuts and raisins until golden. Add the ghee to the halva. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with fried walnuts and raisins. Serve hot.