Ayurveda for Weight Loss
Let me begin with an important note from Bhaishajya Ratnavali (an ancient Indian Classic on Ayurvedic Medicines and formulations):
“Persons indulging in physical exercise, worry, long walk, intake of honey, remaining awake at night, and taking barley as food get rid of obesity.”
Ayurveda for Weight Loss Tip #1: Exercise
It’s an antidote for almost everything that ails us.
At a minimum, take time everyday to get out and walk.
Though Bhaishajya Ratnavali mentions staying awake at night, the Vata vridhi (increase in Vata) that occurs as a result may cause other problems.
The best way to reduce and remain healthy is a proper diet and exercise.
Ayurveda for Weight Loss Tip #2: Diet Plans
- Eat foods that are in season.
- Eat your largest meal midday when the digestive fire is most robust during pitta pradhana kala (pitta dominated time of the day).
- Eat a smaller breakfast and even smaller dinner.
Add Ayurvedic super foods:
- Raw Honey
Evening meals should be vegetarian, hot, light and soupy, including:
- Non-cream soups
- Green Gram
- Brown Rice
- Wheat cooked in water
- Steamed vegetables -roasted or sautes with extra virgin olive oil
- Rich Desserts – If you have the habit of taking deserts at night , take cooked fruits
- Red meat
- Leftovers of any kind
- Cold Foods – warm foods are more easy to digest and assimilate.
- Processed Foods
- Reduce the evening consumption of fish, fowl and starches
A typical day’s meals looks like this:
- Breakfast – should be easy to digest foods like hot oatmeal, hot cereal or fresh fruit
Don’t eat egg yolks since it is hard to digest, instead have egg whites.
- Lunch – Cheese, eggs, meat and desserts (As I mentioned the powerful digestive fire will digest and assimilate everything in the noon)
- Dinner – Digestive fire is weakest during this period, so go for light foods like soups, or cooked veggies
It is important to know the fact that undigested food gets converted in to toxins and get stored in fat cells.
Ayurveda for Weight Loss Tip #3: Hot Water
By sipping hot water through out the day, you help cleanse the digestive tract and entire body of blockages and impurities.
Hot water improves digestion and assimilation of food and helps prevent the body from becoming toxic and clogged.
It is also a great aid in reducing food cravings in between meals.
Boil water for 10 minutes and keep in a thermos and sip through out the day.
Another option, instead of sipping hot water there is an Ayurvedic water which you can sip throughout the day:
Medicated Water Boil
- Boil 4 to 5 cups of water in the morning
- Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp whole corriander seeds and 1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds.
- Let steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain out the seeds and pour liquid in to a thermos.
- Take sips of it through out the day.
Ayurveda for Weight Loss Tip #4: Triphala
Triphala – this magic combination of three fruits can be used internally as well as externally for weight loss.
Internally, Triphala powder can be consumed with warm water or honey.
- Amalaki (Gooseberry) works as a natural antioxidant and remove excess inflammation from the body. It also helps to increase the lean body mass and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Harithaki (Chebulic fruit) supports the body’s natural cleansing process by gently removing toxins that accumulate in the colon.
- Bibhitaki (Belleric myrobalan) is particularly effective in reducing the accumulation of fat and fluids in the body.
Externally Triphala powder massage (Udwarthanam) can be done. Concentrate more on your arms, legs and abdomen
Ayurveda for Weight Loss Tip #5: Shad Rasas
Ayurveda advises the intake of shad rasas (6 tastes). These tastes include sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent. Include this in your diet as curry powder.
6 Tastes Curry Powder
- 5 tsp Corriander seeds
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 large Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 1/2 inches Cinnamon stick
- 5 Cloves
Grind this well and add 2 tsp turmeric powder.
Before going for liposuction and other medicines for weight loss, give Ayurveda for weight loss a try. Rekindle your digestive fire and life.