An Ayurveda breakfast takes into account your dosha or Ayurvedic body type and follows certain guidelines to ensure good digestion. Let’s take a look at some healthy breakfast ideas from Ayurveda.
The Importance Of A Healthy Breakfast
We all know that a balanced breakfast is important for starting the day. In particular, breakfast is a critical meal when Vata dosha is elevated.
After an overnight fast, a healthy breakfast helps in nourishing Vata, the Ayurvedic element of air and space responsible for all forms of movement in the body.
NOTE: Do you know your Ayurvedic body type or dosha? Take the free quiz to find out!
From an Ayurvedic perspective, one should eat in accordance with their hunger alone. Skipping breakfast might also disturb the sadhaka Pitta which is responsible for maintaining an even temper, joy, and contentment.
Here are 10 healthy breakfast ideas from Ayurveda.
An Ayurveda Breakfast: 10 Tips + Ideas
- Drink fresh fruit or vegetable juices. This will help in rehydrating the body and gives overall wellness.
2. Whole grains and fresh fruits can also make for a good start to the day.
- Maintain a regular eating schedule. This helps the body’s circadian rhythms set the time for releasing enzymes and starting the digestion process.1
4. A pinch of rock salt and ginger before breakfast helps in the proper secretion of enzymes and aids in digestion.
5. Sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent – this is the order of tastes one should eat according to an Ayurvedic diet plan. An ideal breakfast should have all these six tastes.
6. Slow eating is advised for those desiring weight loss.
7. A power-packed meal of eggs, ghee, sauteed veggies, and creamy oatmeal are an ideal breakfast for those predominant in Vata dosha. Almonds, dates, figs, and raisins make a good choice as well.
8. A healthy fruit salad, egg whites, oatmeal with milk, ghee, raisins, and coconut are a good choice of breakfast for Pitta dosha.
9. A serving of fruit salad, millet porridge, stewed apples, freshly juiced fruit, and barley cereal are ideal breakfast choices for Kapha dosha. Green tea or black tea is also an ideal choice for Kapha predominant people.
10. It’s important to eat according to one’s hunger and Agni or digestive strength. Remember to have water in between breakfast. This will aid in easy digestion.
- Eckel-Mahan, Kristin, and Paolo Sassone-Corsi. “Metabolism and the Circadian Clock Converge.” Physiological Reviews, American Physiological Society, Jan. 2013, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3781773/