Although Marma Chikitsa is as ancient a healing therapy as acupuncture, and even older; it’s far more rare to encounter it today.
Because of its “spiritual” component it differs from other “hands on” therapies. I’ll explain as you read on.
Let me offer a brief recap of what Marma Chikitsa is:
Marma therapy is the energy healing of Ayurveda; utilizing 107 points or “doorways” into the body and consciousness. Each point allows for entry into the “chakras”- the vibrational energy centers along the spine in the “subtle” body, releasing blocked energy and stimulating pranic flow.
Marma points, considered “doorways” or “entry points” into our body’s inner pathways, when gently pressed on the skin can stimulate a chain of positive events.
Here are a few potential benefits of Marma Chikitsa:
- Deep pain relief both locally and distally.
- Clearing of toxins on all levels.
- Improved digestion and absorption.
- Improved function of the organs.
- Healthier skin.
- Balances body temperature and can balance the “doshas”.
- Increased immunity.
- Releases neuro-chemicals such as serotonin, melatonin for improved cognitive function and deeper sleep.
- My favorite, which is always a mystery, is it can bring about a change of perception. It allows people to become un-stuck! How many “healthy” things can you do to achieve this? We cannot change certain circumstances in our lives but if we can see them from a different vantage point we can become free from their stresses and grips upon us.
Marma can actually alter consciousness, and change one’s awareness. From that place a person can move forward with self care, creativity, and renewed energy. I witness this in my practice with women again and again.
This is profound!
So Marma Chikitsa is also a spiritual therapy as it can affect one’s spirit.