3 To Tango
Food. Sleep. Relationships. According to AYURVEDA these are the three pillars of health, each equally important in its own right. And each easily disregarded when convenient in our stress filled, fast paced lives. When people tell me they don’t have the time, I always ask them how can they not have time?
Lets talk about food. How many of us skip out on meals because we don’t have the time? Or take our lunches sitting in our office chairs, staring at the computer screen? This is just so wrong! Our body needs nourishment. It needs to eat when hungry and drink when thirsty. It needs the sustenance that these acts provide and the balance that their regularity creates.
AYURVEDA offers some simple Suggestions to help us maintain a healthy digestion and vibrant energy levels:
- It’s always nice to sit at the table for a meal. Start by removing clutter and providing a calm atmosphere in which to eat.
- Eat only when you are hungry. Just listen to your body! It’ll tell you what it wants and when!
- Stop eating when you feel about 75% full. Don’t stuff yourself. Eating too much food overloads your digestive system and can lead to a build-up of toxins.
- Pay attention to your meal. Actually taste the food, savour its aroma and delight in its vivid colours. This makes the act of eating a very satisfactory indeed!
- Sit quietly for a few minutes after eating. Enjoy and appreciate what you have just eaten and be grateful for a fulfilling and wholesome meal. Don’t be in a rush to get somewhere immediately after eating!